CHILDREN IN THE LIBRARY
The staff at the Carroll County Library welcomes children and hopes that their visits to the library prove to be very rewarding and instill in them a love of reading for pleasure and knowledge for a lifetime.
While the staff is concerned about the well-being of the children, we cannot be responsible for keeping your child safe from harm.
- A child 10 years of age and younger must be under the supervision of a parent or adult caregiver who assumes responsibility for him or her during the entire stay in the library.
- If your child is participating in a supervised program, please remain in the building. It is important that you are available in case your child needs to leave the program.
- You must consider the rights of all library users. Children left on their own often run, climb, and express themselves more loudly than other patrons appreciate.
- If a child’s behavior is disruptive, the family may be asked to leave. Please help us maintain an environment that allows for everyone’s enjoyment.
- Children older than 10 years of age may be left unsupervised to work on their specific library projects that are not on the internet. If they are disruptive you may be asked to limit their time left alone in the library, or you may be called and asked to come pick up your child.
- We suggest that your child has some form of identification including his/her telephone number.
- Please check the computer policies concerning use by any young person under the age of 18.
In the event an emergency forces the immediate closing of the library, children should know what procedure to follow as determined by their parents or adult caregivers.
If a minor-anyone under the age of 16-is left at the library at closing time or in the event of an emergency situation, staff will attempt to contact the parents or adult caregivers. If they cannot be reached and all options have been exhausted, staff will notify the police.
We hope that these guidelines will help ensure the safety of your child and promote the enjoyment of all patrons using the Library.